Sunday, June 21, 2009

Shadows and Light



Afternoon sun with shadows, evening fading natural light, & evening with a flash.

I learned a lot about lighting this week as I took many, many photos in all kinds of light and shadow. This series of pictures shows a simple handle leaning against a fence in various states of lighting, both natural and flash. It would also be an example of a monochrome theme, if not for the bright leaves.

In addition, I took many indoor photos of various objects, playing around with the difference in using natural high and low light and the flash to fill the scene. It was interesting to learn about the reasons for the blue tinged and yellowish indoor pictures that I have often taken. I now know that I can’t count on the auto setting to get the best picture in all settings, and that I can make adjustments to ensure a better photograph.

6 comments:

  1. I like the first photo, it looks as though the sun was shining into the corner, makes the tools stand out, like their ready to go to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you leave the camera setup? The composition is almost identical for all of them, which is great!

    I presonally like the last one.. oddly I am not sure why.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, they were all taken free hand. I just went out periodically through the day and snapped them. I haven't really done anything with my tripod yet, but I'd like to try it with some animal or action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! Love the composition, and the different effects that light gives each one. I really like the first one with the afternoon sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent composition of the shot which made for a great study in lighting during different times of day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lighting can be you worst and best enemy, but I think you did a great job with these photos! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete